I'm a big fan of Tamales and this Corn Bread Tamale Pie is quick and easy. It can also be doubled to feed a crowd. Feel free to make it spicy if that is what your family likes.
Corn Bread Tamale Pie
1 lb. ground beef
1 medium onion, chopped
1 15oz. can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 C. canned or frozen corn
1 15oz. can tomato sauce
1 7oz. chopped green chilies
1 C. water or beef or chicken broth
1 T. chili powder
½ tsp. cumin
1 tsp. salt
½ tsp. pepper
¾ C. cornmeal
1 T. flour
1 T. sugar
1 ½ tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. salt
½ C. milk
1 T. oil
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Grease an 8x8 pan.
2. In a large skillet over medium heat sauté ground beef and onion. Drain.
3. Return to skillet and add black beans, corn, tomato sauce, green chilies, broth, chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper. Simmer 15 minutes.
4. While the meat mixture is simmering, in a medium mixing bowl combine the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
5. Wisk in the egg, milk and oil.
6. Spread the meat mixture in the bottom of the 8x8 pan, top with corn bread mixture.
7. The corn bread mixture may disappear into the meat mixture but will rise during baking.
8. Bake until the corn bread is brown, 20 to 25 minutes. Let set 5 minutes.
9. Cut into squares; serve with grated cheese and sour cream.
10. Store leftover covered in the refrigerator. Reheat to serve.